Friday, May 15, 2009

Day Four

There was once a teacher who knew only one way of dealing with the pupils. Given a task, you measure up to the expectations you were given lavish gifts and fail, were meted out with the harshest of punishments one can think off even for small mistakes or failures. The pupil for the fear of earning their teachers wrath resorted to all sort of skulduggery in order to meet up to the expectations. Along the way they forgot what was right and what was wrong. There was a collective decline in moral values. Pretty soon the gifts were of no use because at the end of the day everyone ends up at the same place whether you are a success or a failure.

Now replace teacher with life, pupil with you and task with choices, see for yourself whether the choices you made and the means you used to make them work were worth the effort?

Ah! Well, was just wondering about why people want to succeed at any cost? Success is something which has to come from within, it's not something which can ever be attained in materialistic or quantifiable things. So the cost you pay should not be at the expense of your core values, without values you are nothing and when you are nothing, who cares for your achievements or lack of them?

Well got lots of time to think and I thought a lot. I've never made the right choices in my life and have always been a perenial under-achiever or maybe people think too high of me. What ever be the reason, I need to re-visit some of my priorities and get my life in order. Not that, it's not in order right now but maybe give people their due and listen to what they got to say.

It was another day which I spent half the time trying to beat the heat and the other half trying to beat the boredom from not having anything to do. Well I got those books and have lots of catching up to do both in the virtual and real worlds, just didn't feel like it. Seems like I just want to think & think but seriously I don't have much to think either these days. Amits' book has come out finally and that's the 5'th person whom I know whose book has been published. No way am I as good as they are, but all of us started out with the same ambition and here I am still trying to decide whether I live my dream or just follow the pack and give folks who have expectations on me something to cheer about.

4 comments:

  1. I remember 'back in the day', u said u wanted to write a book..r u still up for it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still upto it and the first 10 pages are done too, before you complete your phd I'll at least get the rough part of it done beh. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly, how long do you think I'll sit in school?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking any where from 3 to 5 years depending on your family extension plans. :D

    ReplyDelete